Find it Ireland: Irish History
More information on: http://www.clonrush.eu
Lakyle School, The Old and The New
A Centenary Celebration
by Alfie O\'Brie
The occasion of the centenary of a school is more than just the commemoration of a building, which happens to be one hundred years old. Moreover, it is a time for reflection on the past and for recalling to mind, the names and lives of the many people who as pupils, teachers or managers, will forever be associated with memories of the school.
Lakyle National School is situated in the parish of Clonrush, on the southeastern
periphery of the Sliabh Aughty Mountains. It was first established in 1842 by a local
gentleman, John Anthony Burke of Tintrim House in the parish. He owned the townland of
Lakyle and provided a site for the school at a location that was considered to be at the centre of the parish. The school was rebuilt in 1909, and a book to commemorate the centenary was launched in Mountshannon Hotel on 7th November 2009. This book gives a general account of education in the parish of Clonrush from the Hedge Schools of the distant past, to the modern school of today. It is certain to provide many items of interest to everyone in the locality associated in any way with the school. It should also appeal to the many descendants
of former pupils of Lakyle National School now living elsewhere in Ireland and throughout the world.
The book has chapters listing the names, addresses and ages of the pupils who were present in the old Lakyle National School, and the many teachers who worked there. It continues to present a history of the new Lakyle National School from 1909 to the present. It gives a brief biography, and for the most part, photographs of the teachers who taught in both schools, with an account of the many other schools that they served in throughout their teaching careers.
See www.clonrush.eu for further details.
Be the first to review this site